Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nice 6800 white ceramic / gray trace chips

If I ever get around to building Mike Willegal's Mimeo-1 clone #2, then I will attempt using one of these bad-boys, instead of the 6502....  could be a fun and challenging project...  New Old Stock, never socketed.  As far as I know, these are fairly rare.   I've built 3 clones so far, so the next Mimeo will be my fourth.  Insanity?  I dunno... could be :D



BTW, Woz said that he had the design, but did not test the Apple-1 with a 6800 due to cost (this was a kit available from HP at the time), and also never wrote the 256 byte monitor for it.  I believe there is someone out there that recently wrote a 6800 monitor.  I'll post when I have more info (I think it was Mike Willegal that sent me a link a month ago or so...)

5 comments:

  1. great! I'm looking foward to see this new project :)
    Aurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I see RetroChallenge has rewritten monitor for 6800. Please refer to http://whats.all.this.brouhaha.com/2011/07/18/demo-of-rewritten-apple-1-monitor-rom-for-6800-processor/
    I also have a couple of 6800 like yours and would like to try to plug into one of my Apple 1 board. But I would need to figure out how to work with the "6800 Only" dashed area first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I downloaded Retrochallenge's source code and assembly listing and sent them to HobbyROMS Stephan, he has spent two hours working out the HI and LO images, and I am checking with him whether PROMs with the images he created can work.

    By the way, do you have any idea or document showing how the 6800 ONLY area should be populated?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, all that I have is the Apple-1 schematic.

    ReplyDelete